[Libreoffice] LibreOffice Beta 3

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Fri Nov 19 16:34:34 PST 2010

At 6:54pm -0500 Fri, 19 Nov 2010, David Burleigh wrote:
> I am running LibreOffice Beta 3 under Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit) and it
> seems to gradually bog down with use, so that I have to exit and
> restart it several times a day. It gets so that cursor movement is
> very slow. This was also a problem with Beta 2, and I was hoping that
> Beta 3 would fix it, but not so...

Heh, this has been my experience with Calc for awhile.  I, too, would
like to see it "fixed".  However (and here's the annoying part) it's
rather difficult to track these sorts of vague issues down.  If you can
find a directly repeatable use case, like "save 5 files over 100KiB in
size, reload twice, and you can *really* notice the slow down" you would
be doing the devs (and yourself!) wonders.

Unfortunately, because these gradual slow downs are caused by a number
of different pieces of the code and in small increments, there's likely
not a single action to say "Aha! There's the bugger."

One slow down of which I've become aware is in charting with Calc.
Clicking in and out of a chart is a nightmare after 5 minutes of heavy
use.  With luck, now that there's an articulated example, someone may
have more luck tracking down that particular issue.

Glad to have your interest in the project, and hopefully you'll bear
with LO while the ad-hoc group that we are works on it.  In the
meantime, any masterful articulation of specific problems you can
provide will go a long way.

Cheers,

Kevin