[Libreoffice] Are ISC/BSD-licensed contributions acceptable?

Gioele Barabucci gioele at svario.it
Mon Nov 22 00:47:43 PST 2010

Hello,

in bug #31633 I proposed a patch to one of the export filters. It looks
like my contribution has been positively received but I have been asked
to explicitly state that my contribution is licensed under the usual MPL
1.1 / GPLv3 / LGPLv3 and to add the standard LibreOffice license header
to my file.

While I have no problems with the usual LibO license, I prefer releasing
my contributions under the ISC/OpenBSD license [1]. While it is legally
possible to integrate ISC-licensed code in existing MPL/GPL/LGPL code
bases [2], I would like to have an explicit assurance that using such
licensed code is OK in LibreOffice.

So, the question is: are ISC/BSD-licensed contributions acceptable?

Regards,

[1] The ISC license is a BSD-like license. It is very short; without the
usual warranty disclaimer it is just:
----
Copyright (c) 20YY John Doe

Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any
purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
----

[2] http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl
collaboration.html

--