[Libreoffice] [patch] binfilter: cleanup and compilation warnings removal.

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 08:07:33 PST 2010

2010/11/22 Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com>:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 13:59 +0100, Joachim Trémouroux wrote:
>> I have fixed some compilation warnings in binfilter and some
>> unnecessary comments. Patch is attached for review.
>
>        Hokay - the binfilter is of course un-loved and under-maintained.
>
>> I have two questions:
>>  - /*N*/ . Should I fix them massively? I have currently left them
>> unchanged to avoid a big cleanup patch.
>
>        I guess this should be done by some large-scale sed at some point
> centrally. Certainly not a useful patch for the list ;-)
>
>>  - Unused parameters in some methods are triggering compilation
>> warnings. Should I fix them by removing the parameter name ?
>
>        Sounds reasonable.

To be consistent, I rather see them commented out
i.e

foo(int bar)
->
foo(int /*bar*/)
rather than
foo(int)

>        Really though - the binfilter is not the best place to focus cleanups
> (though I appreciate it is fugly old code ;-) Most people will not want
> it (only useful for decade-old binary StarOffice file formats).

as unloved as it maybe. as long as it _IS_ in the build, it has to build
and, especially in // build, having the build.log flooded with
thousands of warning kind of defeat the point of having warning in the
first place.

Maybe you could draw the outline of what need to be accomplish to make
binfilter a separate stand-alone project ?

Norbert