[Libreoffice] Git question again

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 14:11:06 PST 2010

On 24/11/10 21:42, Julien Nabet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a little lost with git again now.
> Yesterday, i made first patches by using :
> git commit -a
>
> git format-patch HEAD~1
>

> Now i do :
> bin/g pull -r
>
> and i got this :
> ===== components =====
> usage: git merge-base [-a|--all] <commit> <commit>...
>
>     -a, --all             outputs all common ancestors
>
> usage: git merge-base [-a|--all] <commit> <commit>...
>
>     -a, --all             outputs all common ancestors
>
> You are not currently on a branch, so I cannot use any
> 'branch.<branchname>.merge' in your configuration file.
> Please specify which remote branch you want to use on the command
> line and try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
> See git-pull(1) for details.
>

> I don't understand why it talks about "branch". I don't want to merge
> anything, i just want to fetch the last version of the main repository.

You should be on the "master" branch. Sounds like something's gone
wrong. Type "git branch" where you are, to see what's going on.

> Could anybody help me ?

Does that help a bit? To fix things further, you shouldn't be doing your
changes on master - it makes life a little difficult :-)

Go to http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development and look at
"Managing git branches". Do *all* your development on a feature branch,
they're incredibly cheap performance-wise, and they make it so much
easier when  you're faffing about with patches. And if you mess up,
they're so much easier to throw away! :-) You don't need to wipe your
development directory and re-pull the entire thing :-)

Cheers,
Wol