[Libreoffice] LibreOffice config migration

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Nov 25 08:52:58 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 19:23 +0200, André Schnabel wrote:
> Am 15.10.2010 17:21, schrieb Michael Meeks:
> > 	So - here is my suggestion ;-) hopefully it annoys everybody, and it is
> > two-fold.
..
> (no question on 1. - harden the code for migration)

> > 	2. we continue to do automatic config migration since this is
> > 	   a commonly desired use-case
> > 	*but*
> > 	   as we migrate the settings the first time, we write into the
> > 	   (original - ie. the old version)'s directory a stamp file
> > 	   that says "these have been imported"
> > 	*and*
> > 	   if the same version is run again with the new settings
> > 	   directory removed (ie. someting went wrong); we prompt the
> > 	   user on the second time:
> > 		"do you want to (re-)import settings from ABC install"
>
> Sounds like a reasonable compromise to me. Mechtilde?

	Ok - so, I just pushed this to master, and will cherry-pick to 3.3 in a
bit; I didn't add the prompting piece - so, we essentially do a one-shot
migration from the old settings; and if people want to re-do that they
need to remove the 'MIGRATED' file from their old settings directory
(hopefully that is somewhat possible).

	For post 3.3 - hopefully, we can have the dialog pop up - and it would
also be nice to have some graphical warning that we are about to restart
having done a settings migration, instead of the silent exit we have
now. I can't make myself use the non-layout dialog code though ;-) so -
must review Ricardo's new layout work next.

	HTH,

		Michael.