[Libreoffice] Are ISC/BSD-licensed contributions acceptable?

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Fri Nov 26 10:48:03 PST 2010

On 26/11/10 10:43, Michael Meeks wrote:
>> Should I try and codify it as a copyright section on
>> > http://www.documentfoundation.org/develop/ and in a HACKING file, or
>> > would you rather I just went away and left this topic alone? (I don't
>> > want to dive into something that is bound to be contentious without some
>> > backing by others, but this is an itch I'd happily scratch :-).
> 	http://lwn.net/Articles/370157/ cf. points 5. and 8. :-)

Okay. I have read that article :-) Point well taken. But I'll also bear
in mind point 3! I mentioned lilypond - I've got a significant change to
the functionality of a module waiting to go in (I don't want to do it
until 2.14 is out) and I had a bit of a shock as to how they handled
copyright. Okay, I'm still putting the stuff in anyway, but I think
they've done several stupid things that could be asking for trouble and
I didn't appreciate getting a post-facto shock!

> 	Anyhow - there is some merit in writing something clearer about this;
> please can you write it up, and mail it to me; and we'll get the tech
> steering group to review / edit / approve it.

I read Groklaw a lot, which is why I think we should actively try to be
both up-front and correct, but don't worry - as a European I think PJ's
standing advice to (-: ask an attorney before you blow your nose :-) is
rather OTT.

I'll try and do something this weekend (and sorry for not responding
this morning - I don't know whether you do this stuff out-of-hours and
won't see this til Monday) but my internet has been out all day :-(

Cheers,
Wol