[Libreoffice] libreoffice3.3-freedesktop-menus-3.3.1.noarch.rpm - what distri is this for

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 27 16:36:44 PST 2010

Hi David, *,

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 9:23 PM, David Nelson <commerce at traduction.biz> wrote:

> In the Linux RPM download, in the "desktop-integration" directory,
> there is a .rpm named
> "libreoffice3.3-freedesktop-menus-3.3.1.noarch.rpm". What distribution
> is this for?

That is my "baby" :-) - it is for all distros that support the
freedesktop specifications/recommendations.
Nowadays more or less every distro follows them/supports them, so that
one should be usable on any distro. But at the time it was added to
OOo, many distros did use their own magic to have their
desktop-environments be aware of installed/removed applications and
had their own way of registering mimetypes.

The freedesktop.org specifications/proposal did standardize this to
some well known paths and utilities to update that info.

Affected are the icon-theme specification, the mime-types one and the
one for the desktop files (application launcher definitions)

ciao
Christian