[Libreoffice] profiling & optimising ...

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Nov 29 02:24:46 PST 2010

Hi Jonathan,

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 07:41 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Funny you post this on the list i was asking about optimization of LO in
> irc the other day.

	Great ;-) the more minds we have on the problem the better I think.

> Thanks for this interesting read :)

	My pleasure - we should prolly whack that in the wiki somewhere in some
prettier form: much appreciated if you can do it :-)

	Personally, I think one of the more major perceptual wins we can get is
this:

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks#Snappier_rendering:_paint_at_idle.2C_not_on_timeout

	I suspect (not proved of course), that these timeouts can cause
unpleasant visual artifacts, and multi-step rendering which looks
unpleasant on Linux at least. Strangely people tend to believe something
is faster if it appears later, but as one piece :-) It would be great to
have someone to experiment with the idle concept there. And/or to track
down quite how many paint / resize / etc. timeouts we take when starting
up and rendering the screen the first time :-) [ cf. also the
appear/change disabling / enabling toolbar icons on first launch that is
some silly ordering problem ]. Then again - looking at this just now,
perhaps this is less bad than it was (or perhaps my machine just got
faster - who knows ;-)

	Thanks !

		Michael.