[Libreoffice] [UX] LO status bar annoyances

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Tue Nov 30 07:24:01 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 16:11 +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> > >   b) We warn when closing a modified doc anyway, so there is no need to
> > >      always warn me and use up precious space. I propose to just do away
> > >      with it.
> >
> > Sorry I have to disagree there.  I'm the one who put that icon there,
> > and the reason for that was to have a visually obvious way to tell
> > whether or not the document is currently modified.
> >
> Hi Kohei,
>
> ok, but maybe there are other means to get that info across?

Sure, if you have any good suggestions.

> The
> status bar, generally, uses up precious horizontal screen real
> estate, for very little benefit.

Well, status bar contains info about status, and document modified
"status" fits the bill, no? ;-)

> -- Thorsten, who likes the '*' prefix on the window title bar

Indeed, but just to put this in prospective, I've received tons of angry
emails from users when I suggested to always enable the save icon.  They
also said that things like a small '*' in the title bar would not be
obvious enough.

Obviously many users feel very *emotional* about this issue, and I found
it out the hard way.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc