[Libreoffice] LO status bar annoyances

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Tue Nov 30 10:03:46 PST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 12:30 -0500, Joe Smith wrote:
> On 11/30/2010 09:54 AM, Kohei Yoshida wrote:
> >
> > Sorry I have to disagree there.  I'm the one who put that icon there,
> > and the reason for that was to have a visually obvious way to tell
> > whether or not the document is currently modified.  A lot of people were
> > using the save icon status for that purpose, but some users (including
> > myself) also didn't like the fact that you can't always save the
> > document especially when the app *thinks* it's not modified (note: there
> > are times when the document is marked unmodified, but some data are
> > modified such as the cursor position, zoom level etc.).

> Is there a use case to justify exposing any of this to users?

Can you expand on what you mean by 'any of this'?

>  From what I've seen, users only expect one thing: a way to reliably
> save their work.

Yes, and to me it's equally important to give the users the ability to
save the document regardless of whether or not the app *thinks* the
document is modified (which is often wrong in some circumstances).

> A "force save" function could be useful in some unusual situations, but
> it's only interesting to experts.

Nobody is talking about "forced save" here.  You still have to hit
Ctrl-S to save the document.  We are talking about always *enabling* the
save action.

KOhei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc