[Libreoffice] Mac OS X Build

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+ooofuture at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 8 07:48:10 PDT 2010

Hi *,

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Eric Hoch <eric_openoffice at gmx.de> wrote:
> [external (non-XCode-provided) dependencies when building on Mac]
>
> In this case yes :-) I didn't know that there are so many libs and
> binaries needed at the moment. [...]
>
> Is this because of a new build process that LibO uses compared to
> the one OOo uses?

Yes - but not because the stuff is really required, but just because
nobody did care about it.
Or to put it otherwise: The wrapper-tools around builidng that
originated from go-oo introduce those requirement, not the code of the
actual Office.

> Plus, I wonder were all the cleanup work done by Christian Lohmaier
> is gone. He did a great job in making OOo build on an
> out-of-the-box with XCode installed.

They are still there, just those cleanups need now be applied to the
framework (that I personally dislike the way it is designed, I hope
that the duplication will be removed, at least after the first
release)

> Btw: Are there any up to date build instructions for Mac OS X? I
> only found Linux instructions or can I use them on the mac as
> well?

It doesn't build out-of-the box without either installing the deps or
patching it locally, still some work to do to get it nicely as OOo.

> [....]
> Btw does your build run on 32bit machines as well? I remember that
> the project working on the "native VLC" for Mac OS X adopted 64bit
> but during this process lost the ability to run their builds on
> 32bit machines.

The office is, like OOo built against the 10.4u SDK and works on 32bit
as well (in fact, it is only a 32bit version, no matter that it has
been compiled on a 64bit system)
(The MacIntel buildbot is a 10.6.x Server (and thus even "more" 64bit
than the regular desktop OS) for example)

ciao
Christian