[Libreoffice] My Macros:Standard library + Extensions lost in Win install over OO 3.2
jlc at mail2lee.com
Sat Oct 9 20:41:10 PDT 2010
I just got started with OpenOffice this week and struggled with their install
(it hung twice -2d time at end so OO worked). Did a lot of learning with
MRI and got a little OO Basic code to ~work. Found LibreOffice and easily
chose to switch horses. Knew the Basic code was in My Macros:Standard and
at least some needed to be in document and knew to find/export the code for
backup. Sadly I didn't backitup, so ...
-- When I installed LO3.3 beta over an existing OO 3.2 on Vista:
-- 1) it was fast and error-free and
-- 2) both the MRI helper scripts and all my code in the My
Macros:Standard library appeared to disappear - really it was just left
I could not find a way to import the code as Basic code. I also was unable
to kludge in the code with file copying. The remaining workaround was to
re-build my code by cut and paste from the old code (*.xba) stored in
The MRI extension re-install was not a problem and it brought back their
For my "better" helpers and for my project code I was able to re-build them
by hand pretty quickly.
The workaround of cut-and-paste was not a real issue for me with three files
and a total <~20 pages of code which is still all due for a re-write anyway:
it is mostly junk and previous VBA code commented out.
-- However --
I think this is a real adoption issue for Windows OpenOffice users with an
existing code base of scripts/macros outside of documents. If I had the
collection of general purpose script libraries I may have soon then I would
have had to turn around and uninstall LibreOffice and re-install OpenOffice.
I think most people would stop there and call it a lesson that LibreOffice
is not ready yet. I went forward with exploration, trials at export/import
and manual re-builds because I am in noobish learning mode - it's all good
for me - but I am pretty sure this install scripting problem would turn off
It maybe just more Vista *magic* and not a problem on the more stable WinOS
like XP or 2k. Maybe it is an installer problem in Linux as well... I
don't know but I guess that import of the code into Write as XML is the best
that LO offers right now which I take to mean that installer needs to move
and import the scripts or at the very least another tool needs to be
available (and there may even be such).
Most sadly, I do not know enough about either Win installer scripts or the
LO Basic storage methods to offer much immediate help in really fixing this
problem. All that said, I am quite willing to help as I can - LibreOffice
definitely feels like the right track for me and for liberation of the
desktop. Blessed be!
View this message in context: http://documentfoundation.969070.n3.nabble.com/My-Macros-Standard-library-Extensions-lost-in-Win-install-over-OO-3-2-tp1673063p1673063.html
Sent from the Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
More information about the LibreOffice