[Libreoffice] Release and feature branches in the repos

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Mon Oct 11 09:43:48 PDT 2010

Hi Caolan,

On 2010-10-08 at 14:18 +0100, Caolán McNamara wrote:

> > Nevertheless, there was agreement on the IRC that we will allow feature
> > branches even in the main repos; but in that case, they have to be
> > prefixed with 'feature/' prefix.  Also, the creator of the branch is
> > supposed to remove it when it is merged into master (or into a release
> > branch).  Release branches have no prefix.
>
> git foo hurts my head, I at least could do with a step by step example
> of a recommended way to set up and pushing to a feature branch

Oh - sorry!

So the example workflow might look like the following:

# create the branch locally
g checkout -b mybranch
# develop something
g commit -a
g commit

# find out that it might be useful as a feature branch
g -f push origin mybranch:feature/some-comprehensible-name
# continue development and pushing
g commit -a
g push
# hmm, a conflict, somebody pushed to our
# feature/some-comprehensible-name branch, we want to get newest stuff
# from there.  In this case, we want the 'rebasing' pull.
g pull -r
g push

# at some stage you might find out that you actually want to merge newer
# stuff from some other branch, eg. master
g merge master

# finally you want to get it all back to master
g checkout master
g merge mybranch
g push
# if it failed, we need to get the newest stuff from the remote repo
# BUT WITHOUT REBASING
g pull --no-rebase
g push

# everything finished, kill the remote branch
g -f push origin :feature/some-comphrehensible-name

[In some cases, you might need to use 'g -f' instead of just 'g'.  The
-f forces 'g' to operate on all the repos, and I am afraid the logic to
detect when to operate on all the repos might be still not perfect.]

I'll test/cleanup this more & move to the wiki; but I hope this helps
even in this quick-braindump form :-)

Regards,
Kendy