[Libreoffice] Improving the build experience in rawbuild

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Thu Oct 14 00:31:29 PDT 2010

Hi Christian,

CC'ing the list as you apparently forgot to "Reply All".

On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 00:44 +0200, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> > The current build procedure described on the wiki and TDF website builds
> > in build/libreoffice*. In order to change that, I'ld like to do the
> > following:
> >  * Change the rawbuild/configure.in to have the defaults matching the
> > options defined in distros-config/LibreOfficeLinux.conf.in
>
> What about Mac? What about Windows?

Hum... You're right! Any better idea to have something smooth very
everyone?

> >  * Hack bin/g to have bin/g clone download all the repos at the
> > appropriate place and create the rawbuild folder.
>
> I don't understand this part. Why would you need to hack this when
> rawbuild folder is generated now already?

The point is to generate it sooner: it is now generated by download
which is generated by the build/autogen.sh. The idea here is to have a
simple process to build in rawbuild instead of build/libreoffice*

> I'd like to be able to do "rm -rf build" and run make again, without
> re-downloading stuff again (ideally stuff downloaded using different
> scripts should end up in different directories, but not below build)
> I'd like to have one build-directory for the core office, I don't mind
> whether that would be build/rawbuild or different, it just should be
> named the same when the tree is updated.

The downloaded stuffs are currently in the src folder of the build
repository and are added to the gitignore files: you can currently run a
rm -rf build safely :)

If the dev builds are happening in rawbuild, it'll be more complicated
as rawbuild is a lot of symlinks to the clone folder. but I agree that
something like make clean (properly working) would be needed.

> I'd like to be able to "git diff" in the build-directory.

That's why building in the current rawbuild is interesting: we could use
bin/g tool to create the patches and/or commit directly instead of some
black magick to move the changes from build/libreoffice* into rawbuild.

> And of course I'd like to be the version for Mac that way as well as a
> Linux version.

Indeed...

> If that is what you propose, then sorry for not being able to parse
> your message. If your proposal differs significantly, I'd be happy if
> you could explain in more detail.

The main problem I have with building in rawbuild is that one needs to
input a lot of arguments to the configure depending on his OS / Distro.
These infos are all in the distros-config folder of the build
repository: it would be nice to be able to reuse them when running the
rawbuild/autogen.sh

I hope to have explained my thoughts a bit better.

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker