[Libreoffice] Help concerning code style and documentation

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Oct 28 04:34:39 PDT 2010

Hi Regina,

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 18:13 +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> I'm currently working on LINEST and have attached a draft to issue

	Cool ! this is an awesome patch :-)

> There is no mathematical problem, but I'm uncertain about coding style.

	And your coding style looks beautiful, a great improvement over what
was there before.

> The algorithms work on matrices. They have a lot of parts which are
> nearly identical but the matrices are transposed. How to handle that?

	Good question; and one to which I don't know the answer (sadly) -
whatever uses the least code, and yet performs well I suppose.

> And I do not know how much comments are needed for those, who have to
> maintain the code later, and if a separate documentation is needed.

	Your level of commenting is great.

> What are your opinions?

	First - I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you; sad. Secondly
I've turned your changes into a patch (which I append). I split your
changes out into a new module - so that this (nice new) piece can be
licensed under the LGPLv3+/MPL combination - if you're happy with that.

	Finally - you updated the CheckMatrix signature, but I didn't see the
header change for that; it'd be great to expand on the diff to include
those bits & return it.

	It'd be wonderful to have your changes included - though we have a
feature freeze in 2 days now ;-)

	Many thanks & looking forward to working with you [ do you hang out on
IRC ? it'd be great to introduce yourself there #libreoffice on
irc.freenode.net ].

	Thanks !

		Michael.

PS. do you think a self contained regression test in sc/qa/unit/ would
be good for this ? or does that belong better in a spreadsheet we can
load and compare results in ? [ it would be good to get some of them
into qa/unit so we can load / calculate and check the answers during
build I suspect ].