[Libreoffice] a faster gnumake ? ...

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:33:40 PDT 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael, Hi all,
>
> It seems that the dep files generated by gcc have duplicates. This
> could:
> a) be fixed in gcc itself.
> b) be fixed by sorting out duplicates when generating the dep file. This
>   could be done in the solenv/gbuild/processdeps.awk(*) script and
>   would then likely result in a 100% speedup.

Not quite. Sure, make {void} will be faster, but at a the cost of
running a script for each dep generation, that include an alphanumeric
sort or a sometime quite large number of entry, and almost always
these entry will have a very high correlation up to all but the last
few chars
iow a likely poor performing sort.

I'm concern that the remedy may be worse that the disease in this
case... but we could certainly try that on windows since they already
taking the medicine and suffering most of the side-effect already.

On the other hand the duplicate are mostly due, I suspect, to a fairly
anarchic ways of doing includes.
Of course _that_ cannot be solve with a awk script :-)
Note that the include maze does not only trip gmake, it is also a pita to human.

Norbert