[Libreoffice] a faster gnumake ? ...

Tor Lillqvist tlillqvist at novell.com
Tue Apr 5 02:43:40 PDT 2011

>> Now, assume thre are old foo.dll and libfoo.dll.a files around, but
>> foo.c has been edited. If Make would cache stat calls, it would not
>> have any reason to believe that libfoo.dll.a indeed got updated, too,
>> when foo.dll was produced by its recipe, would it? So it would run
>> the recipe once more.
>
> GNU make needs to rebuild everything depending on a file, if that file
> has been rebuild, regardless of timestamps. If any of the direct or
> indirect dependencies of a file are newer it will be rebuild.

Hmm, but how is what you say related to the example I described? foo.c has been edited by the user, not updated by a recipe run by Make.

If you are saying what I think you are saying, doing a "make clean && make foo.dll libfoo.dll.a" in my example would have it run the recipe twice, once to update foo.dll and once to update libfoo.dll.a. But it doesn't, it says "`libfoo.dll.a' is up to date".

Anyway, I don't know if this is directly related to the problem(s) at hand, so I will stop using non-related examples now.

--tml