[Libreoffice] Reducing -ggdb3 to -ggdb2

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 12 07:01:21 PDT 2011

 Hello,

 gbuild introduced using -ggdb3 for debugging information and I intend to
reduce that to -ggdb2. Let the numbers speak themselves:

789668K, 2:17  (-ggdb3)
vs
171074K, 1:06 (-ggdb2)

 The first is size of libswlx.so, a binary from sw/ I picked at random, the
second is time needed to finish rebuild under sw/ after touching one .cxx
file.

 Debug level 2 is gcc default, the manpage says that level 3 includes extra
information such as macro definititions. Does somebody actually need that? I
consider it not very useful, especially considering the hefty price paid for
it. Almost five times the size of data is really a lot more data for I/O to
shuffle back and forth.

 Also, when linking, I see sometimes -Wl,-O1 used, but only for some
libraries. Does anybody know where that comes from? I cannot find it, but
this is probably unnecessary for debug builds as well.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz