[Libreoffice] Proposing a new Easy Hack - project consistent namespaces

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:18:19 PDT 2011

Hi *,

2011/4/20 Júlio Hoffimann <julio.hoffimann at gmail.com>:
> The gradual migration is the only way i see to change thousand of names.
> Even with regular expressions, the task is not easy to do.

Well, easy or hard to do doesn't matter, when the benefit is not so
clear to other people. I for example do not see anything that would be
"amazing tomorrow".

I just don't see the point in this. It is just work without amy
benefit to me. No benefit for the user (only trouble if at all, if the
user is using extensions that would have to be adapted), no benefit
for extension developers (they don't care how it's namespace is, they
need to find the functionality in the API), no benefit for core
developers (again, why would the name matter).

You only see the code, that's fine, but when you really want to change
this, this means you have to change the complete API documentation,
you have to tell publishers that they have to revise their books, etc.
It's just not worth the time in my opinion.

Regarding your point wrt. backwards compatibily is no problem since
LibreOffice is so young: That just doesn't fit, as it of course has
the 10 years+ of history of StarOffice and then OpenOffice.org - If
you want OOo users to migrate to LO, you cannot just say "We don't
care about what was before LO was born"...

ciao
Christian