[Libreoffice] Promoting LibO to Vietnamese students by completing easy hacks

Cedric Bosdonnat cedric.bosdonnat.ooo at free.fr
Wed Apr 20 00:47:06 PDT 2011

Hi Vu Hung,

On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 00:26 +0700, Nguyen Vu Hung (KiEi) wrote:
> As for the regulation of MHST,
> I propose that I will firstly register LibO team as a mentor; and I
> will take care
> of the Vietnam side.

Could you enlighten us about some points about MHST? Is it working
exactly like GSoc (1 student, 1 project, one potential winner) or is it
more like a team project with one project? This would help us see what
kind of project(s) is needed for the students.

> Some important deadlines:
>
> 2011/04/30: Deadline for mentor's (and his/her ideas) registration.

Ok, sounds like we need to hurry up a bit then ;)

> 2011/05/01 - 2011/05/29: (team of) students' proposal registration
> 2011/05/30 - 2011/06/05: Announce the list of selected teams and
> students
> 2011/06/06 - 2011/09/04: Coding :)
>
> MHST 2011 Information
> http://www.olp.vn/mhst/thong-tin
>
> Prizes
> http://www.olp.vn/mhst/giai-thuong
>
> Registration
> http://www.olp.vn/mhst/dang-ky
>
> List of MHST ideas
> http://www.olp.vn/mhst/danh-sach-y-tuong
>
> Guidelines
> http://www.olp.vn/mhst/huong-dan

Google translate will be our friend here ;)

> The developers are the mentors and I step back as the one who fill the
> gaps between
> the developers and the students.

Cool! Are there some vietnamese developers that could help mentoring and
start gaining experience on the LO dev?

> > Sure, but don't go too quickly with the tasks from the GSoc as the
> > students aren't selected yet.
> I didn't know that :) Anyway, the deadline for picking an idea is
> 2011/04/30

What we can do: you copy the whole lot of ideas now and you remove the
ones selected for GSoc when Google has announced the selected students.
This way Vietnamese students can start working on their proposals.

We can keep some private communication about the topic you know
vietnamese students are about to pick: I could tell you if you would
need to redirect the student on another task.

> > It's better to tell the students to be
> > careful that some of  those projects may already have been picked. WRT
> > the EasyHacks, tasks are sorted by difficulty and students should pick
> > tasks in section 6 - Programming tasks.
> I see. Probably you have to fill some more programming tasks.
>
> My concern is, can we allocate the right developer as the mentor for a
> programming task?

The GSoc ideas page is pretty OK on that point, but not the easy hack
page. I'ld prefer keeping things on the GSoc ideas page.

Regards,

--
Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker