[Libreoffice] Master Documents? (and something about unoconv)

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Sat Apr 23 17:29:19 PDT 2011

I come from the emacs/LaTeX side of the road.  In the past, I had
looked into the master document issue with M$-Word, and as near as
I could tell, if you were looking for some means of corrupting a
document, making it part of a master document would at some point
corrupt it.

Looking at the OO.o side of things (LibreOffice wasn't yet
around), it seemed like master documents weren't recommended.
They might not be as bad as M$-Word master documents, but hardly
like LaTeX master documents which just work.  Is this something
that LibreOffice would like to see?  Or are so few people using
LibreOffice even knowledgable about master documents, that it
isn't on anyone's radar?

In terms of unoconv, I'm running 3.3.2 on Debian/unstable.  I had
a bunch of .doc files I needed to translate into .odt (so that I
could use the perl module OpenOffice::OODoc with them).  I got the
files off a CD, and it turns out that the first two
(asciibetically) files are corrupt.  Asking unoconv to convert all
of them, had unoconv fail because the first file was corrupt.
There were only 70 files, so I did the conversions by hand.  Did I
miss some switch to have unoconv skip corrupt input?

Gord