[Libreoffice] new module 'tail_build': a pseudo module to wrap build's tail-end gbuild-converted modules

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:08:22 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Norbert, *,
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 4:28 AM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...]
>> 'binfitler' will quickly get in the way... we will need to either
>> gbuildify it, or accept the penalty of having it build last (after
>> everything else)
>
> Hmm - wouldn't it be possible to just "gbuildify" it by having the
> gbuild run build.pl?

yes but The problem is dependencies. from build.pl point of vew
tail_build is one big module.
for instance binfitler depend on svx. if we make progress to the point
where we can put svx in tail_build, then you have
to declare tail_build as a pre-req dep of binfilter, which essentially
will push its build to the end of the schedule...

> binfilter can nicely be built in parallel to other stuff, can't it?
> Being forced to build it last will be quite a penalty.

No it wont really be a penalty (we need to measure of course).
The reason not is: nothing depend on binfilter and binfilter can keep
busy even a big machine all by itself.
in the mean time tail_build will make better use of the resource (as
in less low-time where stuff are not running because of dependencies
choke point)
so the total elapsed time should not be significantly impacted...

>> the former is quite a lot of work, the later is easy: just add
>> tail_build as its dependency. Actually since binfilter is pretty big
>> and has a lot of sub-modules
>
> But what about the other gbuild stuff? While binfilter itself might be
> able to get 4 CPUs busy, the other modules probably then have to sit
> and wait for others.
I'm not following? what other module ? the other modules are built.
and faster because they did not have
to share the ressource with binfilter while they were building...

> But of course I have no numbers, so it's just gut feeling.

Same here... :-)
but my 'daily build' log should give me some number soon...
in any case even if it is a bit slower, since gbuildifying binfilter
is such a big work for very little reward (binfilter is on it's way
out)
the only alternative is to push it at then end.