[Libreoffice] [PUSHED] Series of fixes and migration to One Git for contrib/dev-tools/ubuntu-jenkins

Henrik Jensen hrikjsenvagt-lo at yahoo.dk
Thu Aug 18 17:06:22 PDT 2011

Hi Michael

On 16-08-2011 17:50, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Henrik,
>
> On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 23:40 +0100, Henrik Jensen wrote:
>>> Feel free to commit to the dev-tools repo directly, improving the
>>> jenkins setup even more would be awesome!
>>
>> I appreciate the trust Bjoern :-), but I don't have an freedesktop.org/Libreoffice
>> account yet.
>
>     Hey - welcome to the project :-) there are obvious historical Jenkins /
> LibreOffice synergies somewhere here I think; great to have you on
> board.

Thanks :-)

I'm not really into Jenkins (yet) but a blog post by Bjoern
http://sweetshark.livejournal.com/1858.html inspired me to use
Jenkins as a starting point for my local source tree so I can experiment to
my hearts content with git and the code, an always be able to do a complete revert without needing a slow clone from the remote repo.

>> (AFAIK I can't get partial commit right to contrib/dev-tools/ubuntu-jenkins)
>
>     We can easily ask you to push only to there without further approval,
> which I suspect is a stronger force than most access controls out
> there ;-) but it'd be good to get a few more patches first, as you say.

Yeah, I'll just continue to submit patches for ubuntu-jenkins here for Bjoern and others to review when the see the time to it.

>> Besides, my git skills are still on the Mickey Mouse level, so I would be a bit
>> fearful 'Goofying' around the source tree ;-).
>
>     As long as you don't 'git push' randomly you're safe; and the most
> errors problems should be disallowed by the server so ...
>
>> Later when I feel more comfortable with the code, I hope to be able to use (resurrect ?)
>> the old GSOC 2006 project http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/BASIC/UNO_Object_Browser
>> as a stepping stone for pursuing  an old dream of adding (at least some primitive kind of)
>> code-completion functionality to the star-basic editor.
>
>     Ah - that would indeed be nice; unfortunately - queryInterface makes a
> dogs breakfast of type inference from objects: by the power of
> 'meta'ness ;-) we have no idea what interfaces are supported, and we are
> constantly loosing strong type information down 'Any' shaped holes -
> which is a shame.

Oh my, that sounds more like politicians with vague promises than interfaces with contracts. :-P. Heh, I got this feeling I'm probably better off slowly turning the lid back on what appears to be a can of worms, hoping not to many noticed, and focus on more realistic objectives for the near future. :-)

Jokes aside, I'm a bit surprised of these difficulties because there seems to be plenty of reflection interfaces in the uno-framework:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/DevGuide/AdvUNO/UNO_Reflection_API ?
Is the Editor component on a too low layer to take advantages of these ?

>     But - it'd be great to resurrect the object browser&  get it integrated
> no doubt.
>
>     Thanks !
>
>         Michael.

Thanks for the reply