[Libreoffice] MS-Windows : about dictionaries installation

Octavio Alvarez alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org
Tue Feb 1 22:50:29 PST 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:01:08 -0800, Jean-Baptiste Faure
<jbf.faure at orange.fr> wrote:
> Yes, but why ~20 dictionaries ? Do you know peoples who need and are
> able to write twenty different languages ?

No, but for example, I speak Spanish and English. I like English as the UI
even though Spanish is my native language and I live in a Spanish-speaking
country.

I really *hate* to be looking for dictionaries like Spanish and having to
install them separately, being Spanish on of the top-5 languages.

However, you don't know what language combination other users need.

> I think the best user friendly installation method should be to ask the
> user to choose itself the dictionnaries he wants, whatever the
> installation method chosen is (default or custom). With two buttons
> "deselect all" and "select all".

Spelling check in different languages is something a user just doesn't want
to deal with. It just wants it installed. Otherwise you will make him go
and look for it and guess if either he needs an extension, a package or
whatever else depending on his platform.

Now, from the above, it is really nice that LibreOffice makes this "just
work", providing this out of the box.

If you don't want that there should be a good reason. A good reason to
me is package size.

So either you provide the languages (without giving any options, what for?)
or you provide with a "minimal download" a la Debian "net install" in
which you can ask the installer to install X or Y components from the
net, having a minimal initial download.

--
Octavio.

Twitter: @alvarezp2000 -- Identi.ca: @alvarezp