[Libreoffice] [PUSHED] Re: Horizontal glyph adjustments are ignored with ICU layout

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Feb 3 13:27:36 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 02:17:44PM +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 17:03 +0000, Caolán McNamara wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 11:22 +0100, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
> > > Anybody here with ideas what we can do so that the patch helps Khaled,
> > > and is as safe as possible? - so that we can commit it, and fix the
> > > consequences later if anything happens?
> >
> > Where things are most likely to go wrong are with e.g. Indic text.
> > What's ideally needed is some before and after tests with e.g. Hindi,
> > Tamil, text that needs (the infamous) reordering processing.
>
> Ok, so I pulled down our RedHat Indic test cases and they appear to be
> the same before and after for this, so it doesn't obviously break
> anything.
>
> It seems more of a band-aid than a full fix to me, but it does improve
> the attached to fdo#31016 test case.

Indeed. A real long term "fix" is to drop ICU layout engine altogether
and switch to HarfBuzz, however HarfBuzz lacks Indic shaper right now
(promised to be there by March), once it have one we should consider
doing so (I'd try to give a hand).

> So I've pushed this now and added a
> little one-liner define around the relevant bit to make it easy to
> disable if any problems do arise.
>
> So thanks for this, CTL rendering is rather tricky, and while there's
> been a fair amount of work on Indic languages, Arabic is probably the
> one in worst shape.

Next on the list is the horribly broken Kashida justification and make
it optional.

Regards,
 Khaled

--