[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Feb 6 10:01:27 PST 2011

* Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> schrieb:

> > Trivial: your own microdistro. (prefix build approach, etc).
>
> Honestly, how is that supposed to work.

With Briegel: quite simple.

Just properly state the dependencies in the package descriptors,
tell the target-config to use different installation pathes,
switch to static linking (so no LD_LIBRARY_PATH-tweaking wrapper
scripts, like done in moz+frieds needed), start the build machinery
and get some coffee. Guess, there're other distro-buildtools which
can do it a similar way.

> It's definitely the case that distros should build libreoffice
> --with-system-libs, but if we provide binary install packages
> available for download from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ then we either

In this case you'll have your own distro anyways, no matter you've
already realized it ;-o

> a) don't provide Linux packages at all, and rely on distros building it,

Should be the default case.

> b) build one/two Linux Universal packages that target all/most of them,

These won't be "universal" in any way, just target for an (unclear)
intersection of the major distros. Stability/reliability will be quite
debatable.

> and I'll all in favour of dropping the obvious libs which we can now
> rely on being installed everywhere, but I disagree that its doable for
> all third-party libs, with icu being an obvious to me example.

Even for icu it's quite simple: mvcc installations. Many distros already
do that. This is an distro-, NOT package-issue.

> c) build a massive pile of Linux packages for loads of different
> distros.

Essentially the same as a), if you directly cooperate with the distros
in question. Still: distro issue.

> If we build packages that target a micro-distro with e.g. icu4.4 on it

Wait, not "A" microdistro. _OUR_ microdistro (more precisely: prefix
microdistro), which contains exactly what's required to run LO.

> and configure it --with-system-libs then those packages will not install
> without libicu4.4 available on the users real computer. We either bundle
> it in, or they have to get it from somewhere else.

All "bundling" is done by the LO-microdistro, but the LO package.

First, essential lesson to learn: differenciate between individual
packages and distros.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666