[Libreoffice] Kicking off 3rdparty packages

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Sun Feb 6 11:13:56 PST 2011

* Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at novell.com> schrieb:

> 	Luckily we have a micro-distro now; complete with our own build system,
> and method of packaging; it is called the "onebigblob" microdistro - and
> it works as badly as can be expected when trying to target all distros.

No. It works as good as possible with the underlying OS (maybe downto
the kernel) and the used packages ever can. It's indepent from other
libraries on the system, as it brings them all on its own.

But the release engieering process is _completely_ different, it's
_much_ easier to maintain and keep it up2date then with bundled sources.

> 	So - I appreicate the desire to rip stuff out of LibreOffice - but we
> should focus on the low hanging fruit that Caolan identified first.

My primary desire in this project is stability and reliability,
with minimal maintenance overhead. Bundled library sources, and the
whole idea of mixing up package and distro issues, make this
particularily hard.

> 	I fully anticipate that the vast majority of users on Linux will get
> their LibreOffice from their distribution with system libraries used
> everywhere: which produces a better product; -however- this does not
> mean it is worthless having generic builds - particularly since we have
> a QA team that is dispersed across many Linux's.

The is no such thing as a generic build. You _always_ have certain
dependencies and environment parameters to deal with. The only way
out of this is an completely self-contained VM image.

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt at metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666