[Libreoffice] [libreoffice-l10n] A possible future for LO help/lang packs?

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Feb 7 07:44:41 PST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 13:12 +0100, Andre Schnabel wrote:
> > Von: Martin Srebotnjak <miles at filmsi.net>
..
> > just thinking loud (hope it is not too loud): is it possible to* make
> > help packs into extensions* (oxt files)?

	Sounds (to me) like a really good idea :-) May not work well for Linux
- where you want the help installed in the system, but that is different
enough anyway.

> I tried this briefly for one of the LibO beta versions. In theory
> the mechanism is there but in reality I ended up with a mix of
> English and German help. Maybe this could be fixed, but the no-go
> for me was that the activation of the extension took about half an hour
> (on a Windows7 DualCore AMD PC).

	Lol :-) that does sound deadly silly.

> It does already, but currently it builds index files on installing /
> activating the extension what takes a lot of time. I have no idea
> if we could "prebuild" the index and put this into the extension.

	Oh - we can certainly special case / disable that for our extensions
that already come with a pre-built help index. Better, we should speed
up the indexing with clucene; but that is all quite do-able. It would
help to have a stack trace of quite how the slowness gets called in that
case though (if that is possible to get on Windows).

	Martin - is that something you might be interested in working on ?
and/or if not - could you add it as an easy hack - which will need some
research doing on it to make it easy [ samples of other code that packs
extensions, thoughts on solving path problems on Mac vs. Windows etc. ].

	ATB,

		Michael.