[Libreoffice] deliver.pl defaulting to strip

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Fri Feb 11 08:32:50 PST 2011

Hi kendy,

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:07:17 +0100
Jan Holesovsky <kendy at novell.com> wrote:

> deliver.pl now defaults to stripping binaries / libraries when it
> delivers to solver, unless you export DISABLE_STRIP.
>
> I think it is a bad idea - breaks debugging of the unit tests (unless
> you know that you have to rebuild with debug, and deliver without
> stripping), and the distros need need the symbols too, to be able to
> produce the debuginfo packages.
>
> So - I'd like to change the logic there, and use ENABLE_STRIP envvar
> to control this, defaulting to not stripping; how does that sound to
> you?

I think stripping on deliver was always broken by design, although I
understand why the shortcut was taken. Stripping should be either be
done directly in the workdir, or upon packing the instset IMHO. I tend
to favor the second option, as it keeps information in the binaries as
long as possible. Also IIRC even in the current build there is some
stripping stuff implemented upon packing which would just strip the
already stripped binaries. But I might be wrong there.

Best Regards,

Bjoern Michaelsen

--
https://launchpad.net/~bjoern-michaelsen