[Libreoffice] Tools - Media Player

Thomas Arnhold thomas at arnhold.org
Tue Feb 15 09:46:11 PST 2011

Hi,

>>> 	:-) My suspicion is that ~no-one is using it.
>>
>> I think the same. If I add an video to a presentation I know what file I
>> want to add. And if I want a preview of a specific file this should be
>> done by the filepicker.
>
> Short: I share this view ...
>
> Long: But, some of the tracked usage seems to say "some (strange) uses,
> maybe tries, maybe clicks on the wrong menu item, but at least some
> uses" (see the end of the mail). Personally, I think we don't loose that
> much by removing the entry from the menu. Instead, we gain a more clean
> menu layout.
>
> Thomas, I'm not aware of that many file pickers being able to preview
> videos (given our platform support). Sometimes the Media Player might
> indeed be handy, e.g. to preview videos that got random names (e.g. from
> a camera). And, it seems that using the Media Player, previewing the
> video files seems much faster than prior embedding to the document
> (subjective, of course).
>
> However, we might rely on the operating system in such cases ... any
> further thoughts?

GtkFileChooser has preview options (as used in gimp) and KDE provides
KFilePreview. So this should be done by them. At this moment preview
options are not implemented for movie/sound adding. For Insert -> Images
this is working. I think videos are not previewed by GtkFileChooser at
this moment.

>> I tested to create a new gallery. There is some kind of lack of user
>> experience: Open the gallery, then "New theme", tab "Files" and then you
>> have to click "Find files" at first to scan a directory for media
>> contents. When this is done all media files get added to the list below
>> and you could click "Add" or "Add all" to add these files to the
>> gallery. Paradoxically, if you forget to click "Find files" and directly
>> go to "Add" this is also possible, but with a very limited list of
>> supported file formats (only images). That's some kind of strange.
>>
>> I've added ogg and mpg files and some more formats into the gallery.
>> Works fine. Only lack is the list of supported formats. I manually added
>> a flv-file with "Insert -> Movie and Sound" (thats the player). But you
>> have to choose "All files". Within the gallery there is no such option.
>> With the consequence that I can't add flv files to it, despite the fact
>> that the player plays it ;)
>
> Wow, thanks for the detailed description. I only checked the former one
> - same for me.

So we should update the file list or add a option "All Files" or "All
video files". If the file isn't supported by the player it should handle
this.

>> With "Insert" you have two possible options to add media content to the
>> document: "Insert -> Movie and Sound" or "Insert -> Object ->
>> Video/Sound". I think the second is deprecated as it doesn't really
>> work. The gallery does add sounds and videos like "Movie and Sound".
>>
>>> 	So - IMHO the player-let is useful, but I'd be amazed if people really
>>> used it in anger; it is rather lame. Removing it from the menus in
>>> everything but impress might make some sense (?)
>>
>> Yeah for impress it is very useful. But why remove the possibility to
>> add videos and other media to the files. I think in the background in
>> it's the same, isn't it?!
>>
>> So the question is:
>>
>> - remove "Tools -> Media Player"
>> - remove "Insert -> Objects -> Sound" and "Insert -> Objects -> Video"
>
> Fine from my point-of-view (as Michael suggested, keep Media Player for
> Impress?). But since those objects are supported in all applications,
> please keep "View - Toolbars - Media Playback".

Yes, "View - Toolbars - Media Playback" should be kept.

> === Usage Data ===
>
> Data (end of 2009) ... the use of the menu bar item for opening /
> closing the media player (.uno:AVMediaPlayer MenuBarManager)
>       * Writer: 638
>       * Calc: 152
>       * Impress: 594
>       * Draw: 77
>       * All Applications: 2063
>
> Of course, these are only relative values - so here is the comparison to
> the Gallery item in the same menu - All Applications: 7919
>
> Looks strange, doesn't it? Especially since Writer seems to outperform
> Impress. (???)

Really strange ;)

Nice feature indeed, to play movies in a document :)

Thomas