[Libreoffice] Build logs from the tinderbox

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Thu Feb 17 04:54:13 PST 2011

Hi Christian,

On 2011-02-17 at 00:25 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> sorry for not replying earlier

No problem at all! :-)

> > As you already have experience with what the tinder mails should
> > contain, do you think you could enhance bin/tinbuild in the bootstrap
> > repo to actually send the mails to the tinderbox too, when an additional
> > option is provided?
>
> depends on what you can add to send mail.. And of course for tinderbox
> log information to be useful, the build-environment itself (and the
> set of configure options) should not change between each build.

So I think I got it +- right in the end; or at least I've pushed
that :-)  It now sends the tinderbox mails, as well as the nagging mails
when a broken commit appears.

> >  That way it would be completely trivial to setup a
> > tinderbox anywhere with few steps:
>
> So use whatever that allows you to add a custom header (the X-Tinder
> one) and you're set. I use
> http://www.caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/ - that one is
> a perl-only (no
> external deps) tool that supports tls and is easy to use.

I see; I looked at that too after Thorsten's recommendation, but thought
it was unable to add the X-Tinder header - my bad, but at least I
learned Net::SMTP and MIME::Lite Perl modules :-)

> I send 3 mails: when the build starts, after configure is done, and
> after the build is finished. first one is witout attachment (X-Tinder:
> cookie), second and third use attachment (X-Tinder: gzookie)

I can do the same; the ones when the build starts, and when the
configure is done should have the 'building' status, is that correct?

> For mails with attachment, the mail processing expects the attachment
> to be the second part of a multipart/mime message, thus even when
> sending it with attachment, it has a body-message (that is ignored
> when parsing the log)
>
> > git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/bootstrap tinderbox
> > cd tinderbox
> > ./autogen.sh [params]
> > make
> > # when make succeeds
> > bin/tinbuild [params]
> >
> > ;-)
>
> Oh, when make succeeds then it is too late, isn't it, I mean tinderbox
> is interested in both success as well as failure.

Sorry, did not explain it completely.  The 'make succeeds' step is there
for sanity check only, the bin/tinbuild then loops forever, but it is
always good to try it manually for the 1st pass.  After that,
bin/tinbuild of course has to (and does) survive even incomplete builds.

> The recent message contain the attachment, and have the correct
> header, but it contains useless annotation variable "builddate:
> deprecated" - you're not supposed to use it, the deprecated means it
> is deprecated, not that it should be used with the value "deprecated"
> :-)
> starttime and timenow are the ones to use.

Fixed :-)  It turned out to be a trivial (and hopefully last) bug that I
did not spot before going home.

> So include the annotations within the gzipped log, and everything is fine.

Hopefully should be now.  If it proves to be so, I'll announce the usage
in a separate mail; should be pretty easy to setup for anyone now.

Oh - and one question: The 'tinderbox: tree: XYZ' - are the trees
created on the fly?  Ie. is the creation of the libreoffice-3-3
tinderbox tree as easy as as using libreoffice-3-3 instead of XYZ, or is
there something necessary on the server side too?

Thank you a lot,
Kendy