[Libreoffice] Patch handling guideline

Kohei Yoshida kyoshida at novell.com
Mon Feb 21 11:40:37 PST 2011

Hi there,

I'm working on authoring this page

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Patch_Handling_Guideline

to help us develop some sort of guideline in order to handle this ever
increasing amount of in-coming patches.  The page is intended for both
those who submit patches, and those who review & push them.  This page
is only 2 hours old, and my hope is to get this page developed further
into a full-fledged guideline.

However, it's not the intention of this page to inundate potential patch
submitters with lots and lots of rules; instead, some minimal "best"
practices that they can follow in order for us to make this process
scalable.

Also, until now, only a handful of core developers have been reviewing
patches.  However, this obviously does not scale with this increasing
number of patches to review (unless the core devs have nothing else to
do than reviewing patches, which unfortunately is not the case).  So IMO
anyone with commit access with reasonable experience working with the
code base should be able to review patches & are encouraged to do so.

There are still those patches that need to be reviewed by the respective
domain experts, but I think at the moment, those patches probably
comprise roughly ~30% of all incoming patches.

I'd like to know what others think of the current situation, and if
there is a good way to handle this.  Feedback appreciated.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida, LibreOffice hacker, Calc
<kyoshida at novell.com>