[Libreoffice] an attempt to connect LO to the unhosted web

Michiel de Jong michiel at unhosted.org
Mon Feb 28 11:50:01 PST 2011

Hi,

This message is FYI, to let you know what we're doing, since it's relevant
to LO.

Since today I am a full-time developer of the Unhosted project. The goal of
the Unhosted project is to promote a few decentralization tricks (see
http://www.unhosted.org/ for details) and help bring free software to the
web. Specifically, our first goal is creating an alternative to Google
Docs. The first step towards this will be a proof-of-concept that explains
the idea we have.

The proof of concept (working title: LibreDocs) will be much like
slideshare: To write the document you use LO on your desktop, but then you
publish it to the unhosted web in odf format, so that people can read it
online,  but without the intervention of any commercial website.

The idea for doing something that combines LO and Unhosted came from a
conversation Charles-H. Schulz (of the Document Foundation) and I had after
meeting each other at the FOSDEM conference. The unhosted odf viewer will be
based almost entirely on webodf, the excellent javascript library that Jos
van den Oever published recently.

As I said, this email is FYI, I've only just started working on this today.
I'll let you know when I have something working. It's not much use
discussing it much before it exists. If you have any questions though, don't
hesitate to reply to this thread, email me, or find me on IRC
(michiel_unhosted, in the #unhosted channel on freenode).

Cheers!
Michiel.