[Libreoffice] Why the heck was help ripped out of the linux langpacks? (and that *between RCs*)

Jan Holesovsky kendy at suse.cz
Sun Jan 16 15:52:40 PST 2011

Hi Andras,

On 2011-01-17 at 00:02 +0100, Andras Timar wrote:

> If you made available read-only localized versions of wikihelp, it
> would calm down a few people, so I think it should be done for 3.3.
> Not many teams want to edit wiki directly, anyway.

Yes, my preference is to upload the read-only localized versions
immediately too, I am just concerned about the bugreports that something
is untranslated/translated wrongly in the wikihelp; that wouldn't be
easy/quick to solve currently, without the rest of the tooling in place.
But if it is acceptable, I'll gladly go ahead :-)

> > 1) we agreed that wikihelp must be translatable using Pootle
>
> Well, it's not Pootle what is important here, but translators want to
> use file formats and methods they are familiar with, i.e. PO and/or
> XLIFF files, possibility to translate offline, full leverage of their
> existing translation etc. I think of Pootle as a storage of
> translations, a central place (with the possibility to edit the files
> using the browser), plus nice statistics.

Yes, sure, I was simplifying when I just wrote 'Pootle' in my previous
mail, but we are on the same page here, I meant exactly this.

> I have a question about wikihelp: how can you merge edits in English
> wiki and updates from OpenOffice.org?

Wikihelp is not open for editing yet, so still what is in git (in
the .xhp format) is the authoritative source for wikihelp.  But the
technical part is easy - I'll call the normal 3-way merge during the
up-load (with the detection of the conflicts), it will just take more
time to upload (the page has to be locked & read first, merged,
uploaded, and unlocked, instead of the current way that just uploads
it).  Of course, the person running the upload will have to take care of
the conflicts ;-) - so probably at some stage it'll become part of the
rules for merging/cherry-picking from OOo.

Regards,
Kendy