[Libreoffice] This will Blow you Away . Must Read !

Wols Lists antlists at youngman.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 11:53:25 PST 2011

On 17/01/11 09:11, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 08:09 +0100, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
>> Whats being done to prevent spam on the mailing lists?
>
> 	We've added the list address to CyberPromo's award winning mailing
> list ;-)
>
> 	I guess - the thing that is blocking spam, is the presence of a set of
> list moderators with lots of time, willing to sift and/or approve
> legitimate mail from illegitimate mail quickly (ie. within an hour or
> so), and reliably (ie. all week around).

If we're happier with a slower turnaround for newbies (though I'd rather
strong filtering at the server :-)

> 	It could be you ! :-) do you volunteer ? [ oh, and of course since
> Thorsten / Kendy are admins you'd want to persuade them - I tried, but
> failed so far ;-].

Some lists separate posting rights and signing up. Newbies get their
first few posts moderated ...

If we go down that route, we might implement (but don't tell anyone)
that newbies are automatically given mailing rights after a few days.
(Just don't have the system auto-approve someone while they've got mail
in the queue.) While people may not be happy, I'm sure most people (devs
especially) will accept that if they've just signed up and suffer a few
initial hiccups because of spam, that's life :-(

Cheers,
Wol