[Libreoffice] git submodule

Norbert Thiebaud nthiebaud at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 07:23:57 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Jan Holesovsky <kendy at suse.cz> wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On 2011-01-30 at 20:56 +0100, Tobias Rosenberger wrote:
>
>> is there a reason why you don't use "git submodule" for managing the
>> other repos in the build repo?
>
> The reason is that so far nobody researched that enough, to be able to
> judge if it would help us, or not :-)  From what I know about the
> submodules, it fits more some kind of release tree (our 'build'
> repository), than the bleeding edge - but I may be completely wrong :-)

I concur. my limited understanding of how submodule works lead me to
believe that
it would not be a nice fit with what we do

1/ it is more appropriate when the 'modules' have fairly independent
life-cycle, which is not
really our case. sure calc/writer/impress/base are fairly isolated
from one another, but the coupling with libs-core/libs-gui/ure/...
is pretty tight
2/ this would make the barrier of entry, and the possibility of
srew-up so much higher.

I do agree that it could make a sens for a limited use in the 'build'
repo of git submodules...
but then again, I'm not sure it will improve the workflow of the
people using it...

Norbert