[Libreoffice] over-long extensions manager list ...

Jean-Baptiste Faure jbf.faure at orange.fr
Mon Jan 31 21:39:20 PST 2011

Le 31/01/2011 11:15, Michael Meeks a écrit :
> Hi Jean,
>
> On Sun, 2011-01-30 at 13:55 +0100, Jean-Baptiste Faure wrote:
>> No the problem is not there. It is in the long list of useless
>> extensions / dictionaries in the Extensions Manager.
>> Many users are afraid when they see this list.
> 	Ah ! :-) so - this is something else.
>
> 	We can certainly fix this; primarily by not packing those dictionaries
> as extensions I suspect.
I am not sure : users population is very diversified ;-) and other users
may be not happy if dictionaries would not be installed as extensions.
I suggest to add a button in the extension manager "Show all extensions"
and that the Extensions Manager shows by default only private extensions
(installed by the current user).

>> End-user want to have the choice.
>> But, he does not want to look a little beyond the default installation.
> 	Sure sure - but ultimately, removing one confusing choice (tons of
> dictionaries in the extensions manager), by adding another confusing
> choice - an extra page & response that no-one understands in the
> installer IMHO makes the matter only worse.

Yes but instead of having the choice between "default installation" and
"custom installation", I suggest that the installer gives the alternative :
1/ choose yourself the components and dictionaries you want to be installed
    in this case select by default only the language of the locale.
2/ full installation : all components and all dictionaries will be installed

Another possibilty is:
1/ only your locale (default)
2/ full installation
3/ choose yourself

What is the software used to make the MS-Windows Installer ? NSIS ?

> 	So - Norbert is right (of course); but so are you.
>
> 	So - the good news is; that Steven was poking at the dictionary
> indexing code - which is in a similar area, and was going to look at
> packaging dictionaries just as bundled files, rather than as extensions
> - which *should* solve the problem for you. That involves a little
> digging in dictionaries/ (removing a -ton- of cut/paste
> makefile.mk-age), and some more prodding inside scp2/ to distribute the
> dictionaries in a different way.
>
> 	Hopefully that'll solve the problem for 3.4 - and/or if you're
> concerned - can you contact Steven and help out ?
>
> 	Anyhow - IMHO, there could have been a shorter thread here, if we had
> pinpointed the root problem that people complain about, and not one
> solution to it :-) but anyway:
The length of the dictionaries list is one aspect of the problem. The
other is: the user is frustrated when he suspects that the choice has
been done without asking him.

Thanks to all developers for their patience. :-)

Best regards
JBF