[Libreoffice] [GSOC] Report #5. Wizards

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Jul 4 03:45:12 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 16:32 +0200, Laurent Godard wrote:
> IIRC, templates can be deployed with extension mechanism

	Sounds fun :-)

> so why not use this and package language based extension when building
> the installer ? so, you may find more easily maintainers of these files

	Ah - so the problem is that we have tens if not more of Mb of entirely
duplicated template files in our download and install - and that that is
pretty pointless - when the changes are small between templates.

	Worse - since ~anything can be changed in a template, not just
translation (and perhaps a few well flagged attributes), people tweak
all manner of random stuff making cross-language consistency hard, and
almost impossible to detect problems with (try diffing the formatted XML
between two old-style apparently identical-but-for-l10n templates) :-)

> i think your proposal is intellectually the good one, but seems overkill
> to me regarding the efforts needed when the files will have to be updated

	Heh - sure, but using LibreOffice itself as a translation tool is
somewhat fraught with difficulty ;-) cf. above - no doubt we could try
to fix that: to expose language-adaptive document functionality in the
UI, but I'd prefer to have some background heavy lifting just for our
internal templates as of now :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.