[Libreoffice] [Libreoffice-ux-advise] "Style And Formatting" window

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Jul 5 09:34:24 PDT 2011

Hi Regina,

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 05:42:43PM +0200, Regina Henschel wrote:
> Francois Tigeot schrieb:
> [..]
> >There's also the matter of Impress: the Style and Formatting module is
> >completely useless there. New styles can't be created or custom styles
> >applied to the document.
>
> That is wrong. The Style and Formatting window contains not only the
> presentation styles, but the drawing object styles too. And for them
> the styles work as in Draw.

It was so obvious for me, I forgot to specify I was talking about text
styles. I'm working on a mainly text-based presentation and the absence
of paragraph and character styles is driving me nuts.

> >The inability to use style in Impress is a real turn-down but I'm afraid
> >the problem is bigger than the developer's list.
>
> "Inability" is wrong, but the connection between master page and
> presentation object style is not obvious and the handling can be
> improved. To come up with a concept would be a task for UX.

Why not just use the same style mechanism as in Writer ?
I can't fathom the fact that there are "character" and "paragraph" dialog
boxes accessibles from a contextual menu in Impress, but the result
can not be associated to a global style in the document.

Consistency is very important; how can I be sure some categories of text
(say shell command samples) can have the same formating in all the
presentation ?
Did the creators of Impress expect people to take a 80-slide document and
tediously apply the same changes by hand in half of them, right-clicking the
mouse 40 times to change the font of one of the text lines ?

--
Francois Tigeot