[Libreoffice] [GSoC][performance] report - week #6

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Tue Jul 12 01:23:29 PDT 2011

Hi Matus,

On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 22:32 +0200, Matúš Kukan wrote:
> This week I'm finally done with school till next year.
> I was mostly cleaning some unused components and component_getImplementation methods.

	Cool :-) so - I merged all the patches you sent except the testtool/
performance test removal thing - which ... well ;-) its not doing a
whole lot of harm there I think.

> In patch-set there is sample from clone/impress. I've removed those
> methods also from other repos and if it's ok I can push that.

	Yes - that looks fine - feel free to push all of those :-)

> The only method I don't know what to do with is:
> http://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/libs-core/connectivity/source/drivers/ado/Aservices.cxx#88

     94     *ppEnvTypeName = CPPU_CURRENT_LANGUAGE_BINDING_NAME ":affine";

	That is indeed unusual; I guess it is UNO / appartment related magic,
saying it is thread-affine; I notice we have a libaffine_uno_uno
installed, which presumably is used in this case. It comes from
cppu/source/AffineBridge - which I believe drops that component in it's
own thread [ effectively ] and proxies method calls across from other
threads. Quite how useful that is [ vs. simple mutex protection ] is
unclear to me - but most of the threading code is pretty broken
so ... ;-)

	Anyhow - we can leave it for now as long as it is prefixed with a
symbol nicely, so: foo_component_getImplemntation or wahtever.

	So ... I guess continuing to remove all the redundant
get_Implementation methods is useful, and of course continuing the
prefixing of component_ methods with baa_component's needs finishing -
where did we get to on that ? it seems that (still) by far the majority
of components are not namespaced: for static linking (for iOS eg.) we're
going to need that completed I think - thoughts on that appreciated.

	Thanks,

		Michael.