[Libreoffice] LO Custom properties

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Thu Jul 21 03:13:13 PDT 2011

Hi there,

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 09:15 +0530, swagat sharma wrote:
> Thanks for your valuable time. I'll explain the problem in more
> details.

	Great - that is most helpful :-)

> I create a new Document (.odt file). I add some custom properties, Say
> a text and a number, by going into File->Properties->Custom
> Properties.
> I save the file (as .odt) and close it. When I open the file, I go to
> custom properties and they are there.

	Right - so the custom properties are saved in a separate stream either:
\05SummaryInformation and/or \05DocumentSummaryInformation - and are in
some magic MS/OLE file format. You can prolly chase some of this down
from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd908145%28v=office.12%29.aspx

	Though there are a lot of links to follow. AFAIR each of Word, Excel
and (particularly) PPT use a slightly different version of this perhaps
different stream names.

	One of our bigger missing .ppt export features used to be not exporting
slide names - which (AFAIR) were stored in streams like this too - it'd
be great to fix that: it sucks to loose slide name information.

> Now I save the same file as Microsoft 97/2000/XP format, using 'Save
> As' option. I close and reopen the .doc file again.. All the Custom
> properties are vanished.

	Yep - so to find the related code:

/g grep 'SummaryInformation"'

	Will show you some fertile places to read (ignore the binfilter stuff).

	Hope that helps ! :-)

	ATB,

		Michael.