[Libreoffice] Mac OS 10.4 Support

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 22 17:08:53 PDT 2011

Hi Norbert, *,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Norbert Thiebaud <nthiebaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> the attaches patch, allow for --with-mac-sdk=10.x to be specified
> the default is the lowest SDK available in /Developer/SDKs

This is pointless, it is the same as dropping 10.4 support.

> Note: the patches themselves do _not_ 'drop' 10.4 support or anything
> like that.. they just make it possible to try to build with something
> else than 10.4...

That is just twisting the truth. Sure, 10.4 support is not "dropped",
but the effect is the same. So I'm still not pleased with it.

Having it explicitly breaking compatibility is OK with me, having it a
silent default that slips through, is not OK with me.

I already see some eager developer getting rid of some "deprecation"
messages when compiling on a 10.6 system, killing 10.4 support that
way.

Tor's message contains the only valid reason for dropping 10.4
support: You absolutely need to use a newer compiler.

Any other reason than that is invalid. Then whether the baseline is
10.4 or 10.5 - when using new features of Lion, you have to provide
two codepaths / a fallback nevertheless.

ciao
Christian