[Libreoffice] Calc need too much RAM to open large spreadsheets than Excel, fix?

Samphan Raruenrom samphan at osdev.co.th
Wed Jul 27 02:12:17 PDT 2011

Last year I've done a comparison of memory usage on Windows between
OpenOffice.org Calc 3.1 and MS Excel 2003/2007 for spreadsheets with simple
formula of various size. I found that Calc take a lot more memory than Excel
2003/2007 when loading large spreadsheets. See the chart below (Private
Bytes are the size of the process as reported by Windows Task Manager). This
make it impossible to load large spreadsheets on PC with less memory, e.g.
256M.

Is there any work on LibreOffice to reduce memory usage of LibreOffice Calc
on large spreadsheets?

*Spreadsheets*
  *Numbe of Rows* *Spreadsheet File Size*

200

878K

 400

1725K

 600

2625K

 800

3499K

 1000

4373K

 [image: 2011-07-27_13-12-55.png]
--
_/|\_ Samphan Raruenrom. Open Source Development Co., Ltd.
Tel: +66 38 311816, Fax: +66 38 773128, http://www.osdev.co.th/