[Libreoffice] Calc need too much RAM to open large spreadsheets than Excel, fix?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Wed Jul 27 03:56:30 PDT 2011

At 6:07am -0400 Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 16:12 +0700, Samphan Raruenrom wrote:
>> Is there any work on LibreOffice to reduce memory usage of
>> LibreOffice Calc on large spreadsheets?
>
> but IMHO -the- fundamental design problem with calc, is something
> quite banal - the concept that a spreadsheet is built from cells:
> without breaking that basic misconception I don't think we can do
> any of the really interesting space / time optimisations we need to
> do.

Can you elaborate a little on this fundamental design flaw?  As a naive
and unfortunately focused elsewhere personality, I don't immediately
know of a better model for creating a spreadsheet.  Is it "just" a
problem of sparsity?  Or is there a much more sophisticated method for
memory sharing of various similar cell attributes, perhaps analogous to CSS?

Thanks,

Kevin