[Libreoffice] About merging and people not paying attention

Robert Nagy robert at openbsd.org
Wed Jul 27 11:10:21 PDT 2011

On (2011-07-27 10:50), Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
> Having done massive merge with conflicting files numbering in the
> thousands, I would be less quick to throw a stone here.
> I also had to iron some kink on MacOs this week-end as a fallback of
> gnumake4 merge... but all in all it 'cost' me few hours for the
> benefit of the whole gnumake4.
> I'm sure glad I did not have to pass the dozen and dozen of hours it
> took to extract the relevant part of a cws and merge them onto a
> moving target....
> been there, done that, glad someone else took the bullet this time.
>
> So sure, that sound like a 'oops' moment... but put it in context. all
> in all that is a pretty low rate of screw-up.
> Certainly from your angle that is 100% screw-up because the _one_ file
> that is core to your build got hosed... but you should not conclude
> that it is because the dev did not care, but because that was one file
> in a thousand he had to deal with, and that he had no environment to
> check against....
>
> And please, please avoid stuff like : "please do not touch files that
> you don't understand because you _will_ break things."
> Presuming incompetence is un-called for, and in that particular case
> comedic, since you are basically telling that the guy that basically
> designed the new build system and converted a bunch of the of dmake to
> gbuild do not 'understand' the build system... gee, we are in trouble
> indeed :-)
>
> maybe an active tinderbox would help other realized they broke your
> platform, and maybe fix things they accidentally broke before you ran
> into them ?
>
> Norbert

    Merge branch 'master' into feature/gnumake4

    Conflicts:
        Repository.mk
        RepositoryFixes.mk
        configure
        configure.in
        set_soenv.in
        solenv/config/sdev300.ini
        solenv/gbuild/ComponentTarget.mk
        solenv/gbuild/CppunitTest.mk
        solenv/gbuild/CustomTarget.mk
        solenv/gbuild/Deliver.mk
        solenv/gbuild/Executable.mk
        solenv/gbuild/JavaClassSet.mk
        solenv/gbuild/Library.mk
        solenv/gbuild/LinkTarget.mk
        solenv/gbuild/StaticLibrary.mk
        solenv/gbuild/TargetLocations.mk
        solenv/gbuild/gbuild.mk
        solenv/gbuild/platform/linux.mk
        solenv/gbuild/platform/macosx.mk
        solenv/gbuild/platform/solaris.mk
        solenv/gbuild/platform/windows.mk
        solenv/gbuild/platform/winmingw.mk
        solenv/gbuild/templates/Executable.mk
        solenv/gbuild/templates/Library.mk
        solenv/inc/libs.mk
        solenv/inc/unxobsd.mk

That ain't a 1000 files. Oh look there is something I can't test, who cares, let's push it.

Anyways I don't think that anyone is incompetent, I am just asking everyone to be more careful.
Of course this was my fault too because I was on vacation so I could not test in time,
so let's just put this behind and continue the work (more carefully :) ).