[Libreoffice] patch for make to help in gbuild debugging

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Jun 29 07:59:51 PDT 2011

On Wednesday 29 of June 2011, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Michael Meeks wrote:
> > 	You know; the temptation to check-in and build our own gnumake is
> > growing on me ;-)
>
> You should resist that temptation. We'll end up with another dmake
> then, with lots of special sauce...

 It is not another dmake, as I understand it, as you cannot simply nuke our
dmake copy now and expect things to still work, whereas that would work with
a gnumake copy as long as that one's extensions were kept to "unimportant"
features like better debugging or performance. If the extensions are pushed
upstream, the copy is synced to upstream, and the extensions are not relied
upon, I don't see why there should be a big problem as long as people find it
worth it.

 During the 3.x times KDE used a home-brewn automake+make replacement (called
unsermake ... don't ask) that supported a subset of automake+make
functionality and while people could still build using automake+make if they
wished so for whatever strange reason, using unsermake was just so much
better.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak at suse.cz