[Libreoffice] Cannot save .ods and .odt files

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Mon Mar 7 07:26:56 PST 2011

At 8:45am -0500 Mon, 07 Mar 2011, Francois Tigeot wrote:
>> I would suspect something like file-locking to be a problem here.
>> Do you have an 'strace' equivalent you can use to see what syscalls
>> fail ?
>
> truss is the strace equivalent but it stops printing anything after
> the initial LibO launch. There's nothing shown when I save a file.

Does truss have the ability to follow child processes?  It's been
awhile, but I believe strace has this capability via -ff and -o.  You'll
know your man page better than me of course, but I was able to find this
from a few years ago in my Bash history:

$ strace  -ffo  /tmp/$DEVNAME  $DEVBIN

Which I believe created a bunch of files in strace output files in /tmp.

In other words, LO forks itself a number of times, which is why when you
run it from the command line without backgrounding it, it returns
control to the shell almost immediately.

Cheers,

Kevin