[Libreoffice] Free JRE for Windows?

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Fri Mar 11 11:25:28 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:37:29PM +0300, Osama Khalid wrote:
> I tried to find a binary build for the Java Runtime Environment for
> Windows so I can distribute and install it freely but I couldn't.

AFAIK, you can't distribute it freely, the license forbids it.

> Several components of LibreOffice depend on JRE and I encounter many
> warning message boxes on start up without it, so I it's important to
> make sure that a free version exists.

The messages are pretty scarry indeed, but can be ignored most of the times.
Java is not needed for basic features.

> * Is there a free binary build of JRE for Windows?
> * Is there any plans to release a LibreOffice+JRE version, the way
>   OpenOffice.org does it?

I'll let other people speak about general/windows plans.

For the DragonFly port, my intention is to remove Java dependencies as best
as I can.
I don't want to inflict the pain of building a jdk on our users.

--
Francois Tigeot