[Libreoffice] [patch] (draft) remove Andale Sans UI from the LO default font lists

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Mar 17 07:04:57 PDT 2011

Hi Samphan,

first, thanks for your patch. I am not expert on fonts, so please excuse
my potentially ignorant questions.

Samphan Raruenrom píše v Čt 17. 03. 2011 v 15:02 +0700:
> See http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/views/View_AndaleSansUI.html
>         Andale Sans UI (soui.ttf)
>         Source: Supplied with StarOffice 7.0, which is free for
>         education and research purposes.
>         Stats: Version 1.10 has 668 glyphs and 3,400 kerning pairs
>         Support: Cyrillic (Russian), Greek, Latin
>
> Since Andale Sans UI is only available for PC that have installed
> StarOffice 7 (or newer), I suggest we remove the font from LO default
> font fallback lists because not many people will have the font
> installed anyway.

Hmm, I think that it does not cause any harm if "Andale Sans UI" is in
the fallback list. It is ignored if it is not installed. Former
StarOffice users might want to use it for backward compatibility.

> This is what the patch does:
> 1) remove all instance of Andale Sans UI

Could you please explain what it the advantage of this change? I think
that I have missed something.

> 2) for UI_SANS, if Andale Sans UI is the first-priority font, use
> Tahoma instead because it has better glyph coverage than Arial Unicode
> MS

It seems to me that Arial Unicode MS supports more unicode ranges and
code pages, see
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?fmid=1081
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1805

Or is Tahoma better for a particular language?

> 3) for th locale, the Thai community are coming with better default
> font lists that work cross-platform

Sounds great.

Best Regards,
Petr