[Libreoffice] localize.cxx tries to run 'java' unconditionally

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Sat Mar 26 01:17:22 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm doing my LibreOffice builds in a chroot with no java version installed
and with --without-java passed to autogen.sh (platform is Unix, not Windows)

I was quite surprised to see something was trying to run a 'java' executable
and failed.
Since the build output wasn't very useful, I created a fake java binary to
determine the culprit.

The java invocation is in a shell script:

  l10ntools/java/jpropex/jpropex

There was a test to determine if JAVA_HOME was empty but this test is invalid:
with the current code, JAVA_HOME is set to NO_JAVA_HOME when the build is
configured without java.

The exact code the script is trying to run is this line:

exec java -DSOLARSRC=${SOLARSRC} -DWORK_STAMP=${WORK_STAMP} -DUSE_SHELL=  -jar ${SOLARVER}/${INPATH}/bin${UPDMINOREXT}/jpropex.jar "$@"

This 'jpropex' shell script is not directly run by the build system, it is
called from a binary created from l10ntools/source/localize.cxx

I've no idea what exactly this code is trying to do.

It was certainly activated at the same time as the new gbuild system, I can't
be 100% sure about the date, previous build failures masked it until recently.

Could someone knowledgeable about the l10ntools module shed some light on
this ? I'm pretty sure this hard-coded call to a 'java' executable is a bug
but I don't know enough about the implications to disable it yet.

--
Francois Tigeot